Diet in Diabetes
Diet in Diabetes
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which a person has a high blood sugar due to problem in processing or producing Insulin.
It can affect any age, race or sex, seen early due to a lifestyle problem.
Risk factors for Pre-Diabetes & Type II Diabetes
- Family history of Diabetes
- High density lipoproteins cholesterol levels lower than 40/50 mg/dl
- H/o high BP
- Gestational diabetes
- > 45 years of age
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Weight Management,
- Healthy weight loss with maintenance lifelong by modifying lifestyle.
- Healthy diet.
- Exercise protocols.
- Diet high in fresh nutritious foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, low fat skimmed milk and dairy products, healthy fats like nuts.
- Avoid high sugary foods that provide empty calories like sweetened sodas, fried foods, high sugar desserts.
- Refraining from excessive amount of alcohol, smoking.
- 45 to 50 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week.
- Slow steady weight loss goals for a long term benefits.
- 10% of weight loss brings down sugar levels, helps to control to keep them in normal range.
- Avoid high glycemic index foods.
- Regular breathing exercises with yoga to overcome daily stress, which can give rise to high sugars.
Following a diabetic diet means to consume healthy nutritious food in moderation at regular intervals.
The proper diet plan will control and regulate blood sugars, manage your weight control heart disease risk factors, such as high cholesterol and high blood sugars.
When you eat extra calories and fat, will create uncontrolled high blood glucose levels. The persistent high glucose levels will lead to long term complications like nerve, kidney and heart and retinal damage.
Here in Acuslim wellness clinic, after taking out blood investigations, you will be given a proper diet plan based on your health goals, taste and lifestyle. A general list of foods to have and not to eat will be explained to you.